Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Knit Dress

Yay! I made a dress! Out of knit fabric! And I love it!




Pattern: McCall's 6074-- 99 cents
Fabric: Cotton Jersey from fabric.com -- $3.90 for 2 yards
Notions: Thread, elastic -- both from stash

Total Cost: $4.89


I love my new dress! It fits perfectly and it's so comfortable. I have been wanting to work with knits and my serger more, so I thought this would be a good project. This is a 1 hour pattern, and it could probably be made up in an hour by a more experienced seamstress, but I worked on this in bits and pieces and that's just fine with me :) I stitched all the seams on my sewing machine and then serged them. I just turned and stitched the armholes and neckline and I haven't hemmed the dress, and I probably won't (best part of sewing with knits!!!). I read a bunch of reviews on this pattern that said they left out the elastic or didn't like it, but I'm really happy with the shaping it gives the dress. Since I'm so happy with knits, my next project will be Simplicity 2934 with some polka dot jersey knit I got at fabric.com (I can't find it on the site anymore, so you'll just have to be patient til it's made up!). Happy Sewing!



1 comment:

Cathy said...

The dress came out beautiful! Nice job!!!!!